- How to identify a real asshole
- The damage of keeping Assholes
- How to implement the No Asshole Rule
- How to stop inner jerk from getting out (yes it get out sometimes)
- How to survive when assholes reign
- Yes I am a powerful Asshole (I was checking if you were really reading;)
The book doesn't treat one point that high technical people forget. For most company, market drives the show, not the technology, so you have less power then you think. This market lead to more politics and assholes are good at this game. Politics is often use to shadow increasing incompetency because they don't focus on what they should be doing. You have to better understand politics games but according to me, the more politics the more incompetency by square foot is expected.
This make me remember Joel On Sotware book, most years top companies don't last, only a few survive in the top n after many years. I am pretty sure those company apply the No Asshole Rule because if they don't do so, long term they get back what they desire because they are infected by reproduced assholes that blame each other by the time all top people leave.
People forget that power pass by empowering others. This power isn't a sum but can't be exponential with teams that have a great synergy. Open source is a great example.
This book is highly recommended. I will suggest it to my manager, one of the few manager that understands what a manager should be doing.
But what is an Asshole, the standard definition is something like that: insulting terms of address for people who are stupid or irritating or ridiculous. According to the book Asshole follow 2 rules:
- After spending time with them you feel de-energize, humiliated etc.
- Asshole are more polite with more powerful people and are worst with lower level people.