Thursday, April 25, 2013

How to remap your keyboard on linux if you drop water that has change your keyboard key mapping? ex: pressing 'c' key and getting '+' display....

Last week, I drop some liquid on my keyboard and a weird thing happened, my 'c' key mutated to a + which is quite annoying.
 After some research I fall on the linux screw FAQ: How to disable/remap a keyboard key in Linux? but it wasn't clear enough so here is what you should do.

  1. run the keycode command xev in your prompt
  2. press on the key that has a bad mapping
  3. identify the keycode in the xev prompt: state 0x10, keycode 86 (keysym 0x63, c), ....
  4. change the keycode mapping : xmodmap -e 'keycode 86=c C'
  5. add (4) cmd in your .bachrc otherwise you will need to redo it in every terminal
As mentioned in the linux screw FAQ, 'c' key should be the keycode 54 not 86 so I just remap the 86 keycode to c and C (when shift is press).

Quite happy I can use my keyboard normally again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment