Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Having issue installing ubuntu with your NVIDIA GeForce GXT260M?

You can't install ubuntu 12.04 on your laptop due to your ndivia graphical card (GTX 260M)?
You get this message Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

Doing the following solved it for me on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with 3.0.29 kernel. Hope it helps.
  • install alternative version
  • restart in recovery mode 
  • sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
Don't wast your time with:
  • trying the default xorg.conf
  • trying the alternative 12.04 or server installation; it will not help
  • trying to desable GPU (glx)
  • playing with nvidia-xconfig nor nvidia-settings
  • rebuilding the driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/304.51/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.51.run) -> I kept getting the looping NVIDIA API mismatch....
  • additional driver using jocket interface (minimal video configuration)
  • When I discover the solution, I challenged Michael Faille and he automatically said the right solution...I should have asked him before....I learned the hard way. 
PS: If you want to enable your second screen (disable by default), do sudo nvidia-setting + active it. (configuration: Disable to TwinView) 


I see that Linus Torvalds think the same as me: "Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever"

references and trial documentations:
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G51J/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment