You get this message Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
Doing the following solved it for me on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with 3.0.29 kernel. Hope it helps.
- install alternative version
- restart in recovery mode
- sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
- trying the default xorg.conf
- trying the alternative 12.04 or server installation; it will not help
- trying to desable GPU (glx)
- playing with nvidia-xconfig nor nvidia-settings
- rebuilding the driver (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/304.51/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.51.run) -> I kept getting the looping NVIDIA API mismatch....
- additional driver using jocket interface (minimal video configuration)
- When I discover the solution, I challenged Michael Faille and he automatically said the right solution...I should have asked him before....I learned the hard way.
I see that Linus Torvalds think the same as me: "Linus Torvalds Calls NVIDIA The Worst Company Ever"