- You need to make the distinction between business IP and generic IP
- Generic IP don't need to be kept secret
- Most software company are leveraging generic IP (open source)
- Contribution to open source is good because:
- Helps attracting talent
- Leverage the community
- Makes better employee (not invented here syndrome/disease)
- Split your code always into 2 parts: external/internal
- external contributions to existing project is much better to make this rule not breakable by investors
- Leverage/contribute/create your own open source projects now if you haven't done it already
- Info about opensource licences you should include
- STOP READING AND DO PREVIOUS BULLET
- HAVE YOU DONE IT
- ARE YOU SURE?
- Make it a rule to contribute
- Make opensource part of your software since its inception/creation
If you don't follow this rule, when you will leave or get fire from your own company, life will be much easier if you have your tools to move forward on your next projects.
This apply to founder and any coders. Do you seriously think you will stay all your remaining carrier where you are now?