Been able to develop in standalone mode on cheap hardware is a hard requirement
Why? To be efficient, you need simplicity (their is always a layer of abstraction who breaks like: internet, vpn, remote desktop, grid, file server, wiki, hardware, ....
- Split data/code dependency (need to work on a grid, cloud or supercomputer)
- add small testing dataset to your code base
- Data dependency should be avoided at any cost
- use your favorite linux distribution like ubuntu
- You are stuck on window, use a virtualbox
- apt-get install sshfs
@machine:/somewhere somewhere -o sftp_server=/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
Enjoy working a a cheap unconnected hardware and be so much more efficient (time is your biggest asset). Its a win/win for you and your company.